Who Will Care for the Elderly? 2002 Conference Explores Challenges of Nursing Home Care
In 2002, the Florida State University Research Foundation convened a conference addressing the central concerns facing families, care providers and policymakers about nursing home care, including cost containment, quality of care, access to care, consumer preferences and decision-making, liability and workplace issues.
- Invited papers helped set the research agenda for investigators, focusing on concurrent changes in the elderly population, including:
- The growth in the numbers and proportion of seniors in the population.
- Declines in disability.
- Financing extended care.
- The link between long-term care settings, place of residence and personal care.
- The variety and multiple locations of services provided.
- Personnel problems associated with nursing homes.
- The conference, "Challenges in Nursing Home Care," took place March 2021, 2002, at the university's Pepper Institute on Aging and Public Policy, in Tallahassee, Fla. It drew some 150 researchers in the field of nursing home care.
At the conference, an interdisciplinary group of 15 leading scientists presented papers to approximately 150 researchers studying nursing home care, including participants from Brown University, Cornell University, the University of North Carolina and the University of California, San Francisco.
- The 5,000-member Gerontological Society of America published a special issue of its journal the Gerontologist in April 2003, which included 14 papers from conference participants. (See the Bibliography for details.)
The special issue went out to all of the society's members. The journal article abstracts are available at the Web site. (The full articles are available to subscribers.)
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) supported this project through a grant of $20,000.
The National Institute on Aging contributed an additional $47,000 for the conference.
GRANT DETAILS & CONTACT INFORMATION
Conference on the Challenges of Nursing Home Care
The Florida State University Research Foundation (Tallahassee, FL)
Dates: August 2001 to December 2002
Jill Quadagno, Ph.D.
(Current as of date of this report; as provided by grantee organization; not verified by RWJF; items not available from RWJF.)
Quadagno J, Stahl SM and Branch LG (eds.). "Challenges in Nursing Home Care." Gerontologist, 43(Special Issue II): 1132, 2003. Abstracts available online. Subscribers can view complete articles.
- Quadagno J and Stahl SM. "Challenges in Nursing Home Care: A Research Agenda."
- Polivka L, Salmon JR, Hyer K, Johnson C and Hedgecock D. "The Nursing Home Problem in Florida."
- Weiner JM. "An Assessment of Strategies for Improving Quality of Care in Nursing Homes."
- Kane RA. "Definition, Measurement, and Correlates of Quality of Life in Nursing Homes: Toward a Reasonable Practice, Research, and Policy Agenda."
- Mor V, Berg K, Angelelli J, Gifford D, Morris J and Moore T. "The Quality of Quality Measurement in U.S. Nursing Homes."
- Harrington C, O'Meara J, Kitchener M, Simon LP and Schnelle JF. "Designing a Report Card for Nursing Facilities: What Information Is Needed and Why."
- Mukamel DB and Spector WD. "Quality Report Cards and Nursing Home Quality."
- Angelelli J, Mor V, Intrator O, Feng Z and Zinn J. "Oversight of Nursing Homes: Pruning the Tree or Just Spotting Bad Apples?"
- Kayser-Jones J, Schell E, Lyons W, Kris AE, Chan J and Beard RL. "Factors That Influence End-of-Life Care in Nursing Homes: The Physical Environment, Inadequate Staffing, and Lack of Supervision."
- Mehr DR, van der Steen JT, Kruse RL, Ooms ME, Rantz M and Ribbe MW. "Lower Respiratory Infections in Nursing Home Residents With Dementia: A Tale of Two Countries."
- Tuch H. "Commentary on "Lower Respiratory Infections in Nursing Home Residents With Dementia: A Tale of Two Countries."
- Pillemer K, Suitor JJ, Henderson Jr. CR, Meador R, Schultz L, Robison J and Hegeman C. "A Cooperative Communication Intervention for Nursing Home Staff and Family Members of Residents."
- Zimmerman S, Gruber-Baldini AL, Sloane PD, Eckert J, Hebel JR, Morgan LA, Stearns SC, Wildfire J, Magaziner J, Chen C and Konrad TR. "Assisted Living and Nursing Homes: Apples and Oranges?"
- Street D, Quadagno J, Parham L and McDonald S. "Reinventing Long-Term Care: The Effect of Policy Changes on Trends in Nursing Home Reimbursement and Resident Characteristics Florida, 19891997."
"Challenges in Nursing Home Care," March 2021, 2002, Tallahassee, Fla. Attended by 150 researchers studying nursing home care, from universities such as Brown, Cornell and the University of California, San Francisco. 15 presentations. Abstracts of papers available on the Web site of Gerontologist, a journal of the Gerontological Society of America. Subscribers to the journal can view the complete papers.
Report prepared by: Jan Hempel
Reviewed by: Richard Camer
Reviewed by: Molly McKaughan
Program Officer: James R. Knickman